Remember: all information, content, and material of this website is just for informational purposes only and are not intended to serve as a substitute for the consultation, diagnosis, and/or medical treatment of a qualified physician or your healthcare provider/personal fitness trainer.
LAVERA STEWARTEditor-in-Chief of the Approved By Coach
For a year now, many if not all aspects of our lives are disrupted. Like many of you, we hoped that we will be able to return to normalcy once the vaccines are out. Nonetheless, it seems that things aren’t going at the pace we had hoped, doesn’t it? Still, we are trying to handle the situation the best we can, don’t we?
The most challenging for us was to deal with the inability to go to the gym. Before the pandemic, we used to go at least three times a week. Hence most of our workouts depended on machines and equipment in the gym. When gyms closed at the beginning of the pandemic, we found ourselves in a rather unpleasant situation. Apart from few dumbbells and a jumping rope we didn’t have any equipment to workout at home. It was still cold so we didn’t feel drawn by the idea to go out and train. Honestly, it took us a while to figure out what to do.
Our apartment is small, so cramming it with all the home gym equipment was out of the question!
Thus, we started thinking about the necessities and concluded that we can only get the treadmill. So the question was, how are we going to do some other exercises that require pieces of equipment we cant buy. So we’ve decided that the best idea would be to find a cable crossover alternative. After all, this is an important chest and generally upper body workout and we didn’t want to put it on hold, but we couldn’t think of a solution.
So we’ve decided to consult with our trainer, about what would be the best course of action. And she told us that we don’t really have to rely solely on machines, and there is an alternative to cable crossover. Thus, we’ve decided to investigate and learn more about which cable crossover replacement exercises we could do, and also share them with you!
What Muscles Work in The Cable Crossover Exercise?
As we mentioned, cable crossover is a type of workout designed to strengthen the upper body, particularly the chest. It is done on the machine which involves pulleys. This exercise mostly trains:
Benefits of Cable Crossover
- It has everything: It is one of the best exercises for everyone engaged in bodybuilding or strength training. The great thing about it is that your shoulder blades are free to move because you perform the cable crossover exercise while standing.
- It is a unilateral workout: It means that you are working one side of the body at a time. Basically, with this exercise, you get balanced muscular development.
How to Replace Cable Crossover
As you can see in some situations it can be challenging to work on a cable crossover machine. Fortunately, there are plenty of exercises that can perform as a replacement for cable crossover.
So let’s take a look at a few:
Resistance Band Crossover
Resistance bands are phenomenal and versatile strength training tools. They are lightweight, portable, and inexpensive. So you can afford them regardless of your budget. Working out with them you will get the best alternative exercise to cable crossover.
How to Perform
- Take a band in each hand and hold them at the height of your shoulders
- Walk forward until you feel there is enough tension in the bands
- Stand in a split position.
- Slightly bend forward with hips. Make sure to have a straight back.
- Keep arms a bit bent in elbows as you cross over the hands in front of you
- Return to starting position
When you perform this substitute for cable crossover, do the reps slowly. That will ensure that you’ll spend as much time as possible under resistance.
- MUCH HEAVIER RESISTANCE & IMPROVED TENSION - Resistance from 20 LBs to 40 LBs, heavier bands with max tension compared with similar resistance workout bands. The metal carabiners on the resistance strap enable the user to add or remove resistance to create the perfect challenge for every muscle group. Challenge your limit.
- ANTI-SNAP DOUBLE PROTECTION - Build with high quality protective Nylon sleeve and premium natural latex which prevents the resistance tube from being damaged, and provide you double protection in case the band were to snap, our elastic exercise bands serve long time and provide the maximum resistance.
- FITTNESS ANYWHERE - Lots of potential for different workouts with these fitness and they are easy to use at home or throw in the backpack to get in a quick stretch or exercise when needed. These exercise cords are perfect for exercise, fitness, pilates, strength training. Comes with 4 improved bigger handles allow you share bands with your workout pals and don't have to switch handles between bands.
- 15 IN 1 RESISTANCE BANDS WITH HANDLES - 5 Resistance Bands: 1 x Red (20 lbs), 1 x Gray (25 lbs), 1 x Blue (30 lbs), 1 x Yellow (35 lbs) and 1 x Black (40 lbs). Accessories: 4 x Cushioned Foam Handles, 2 x Door Anchors, 2 x Ankle Straps, 1 x Carrying Bag， 1 x Workout Book. Exercise tubes with handles and heavier tension allows you more different training methods for building strength
- This resistance bands set is definitely the best gift for your workout fellows, allows exercise everywhere; As a carry-on gym system, it is absolutely the best fitness gift for the most active guys you know, gym junkies, runners, and more will go nuts for this gift. We stand up for our product, 7/24 supportive customer service. Love it, or pay nothing
Incline Dumbbell Fly
This is an excellent cable crossover alternative with dumbbells. You need to have an incline bench or something that can play the role of it. Moreover, these dumbbell chest exercises require resistance bands.
How to Perform
- Lie on the bench, and hold the dumbbells in both hands.
- Keep the body aligned with your chest
- Arms should be extended on your sides.
- Bend the elbows and lift arms above the chest while holding the dumbbells.
When you’re performing this cable crossover substitute, make sure to bring back the arms slowly. Then repeat the move.
- 【700 Lbs Weight Capacity】Designed a unique frame with triangular structure and made of heavy-duty commercial quality steel, which is very sturdy and durable. All this is especially important in your workout.
- 【Fast Adjustment With Automatic Lock】Designed with 7 back positions & 3 seat positions for Full Body Workout, you just pull the FAST BOLT, adjust the place which fit yourself and automatic lock. Safety!
- 【2" Soft Foam Padding】10.6" Upgraded backrest and seat made of leather and filled with soft foam padding to 2" ! Allow you do any exercise with a very comfortable feeling. (All the measurement is actual result).
- 【Save 80% Space】 FLYBIRD foldable bench, easy to carry & NO ASSEMBLY NEEDED, folded size: 30" L x 16" W x 9" H. You can put it in the corner or under the Bed when you finish workout.
- 【No Worry Buying】For all FLYBIRD Bench, the measurement and capacity is actual result, NOT as others mendacious Bench,Order today and get a 1 year cover on the frame, 30 days cover on the pads.
Yes, you’ve probably heard so much about push-ups, and how effective of an exercise they are. Indeed, experts often recommend it, because they are a marvelous full-body workout and an amazing cable crossover alternative at home.
How to Perform
- Get down on all fours
- Keep the hands a bit wider than shoulder apart.
- Strengthen arms and legs
- Lower your body as much as possible, aiming that your chest nearly touches the floor.
- Pause and return to the starting position
When you perform this cable crossover alternative, make sure to avoid rounding your spine, since that will make push-up less effective.
Chest dips are considered as the best calisthenics chest workout and a convenient strength exercises to do at home. And the good thing is – there are plenty of ways to perform them.
How to Perform
- Place your palms on the elevated parallel platform (kitchen counter, chairs, nightstands, etc).
- Make sure that the bars (chairs, etc) are shoulder-width apart.
- Lift your body making sure that your elbows are not locked in an upright position. You can bend your legs.
- Dip the body lower and lean slightly forward.
When you come to the point of doing 50 dips start using weights for an added challenge.
- THE PATENTED DIP STATION: The patented adjustable Dip Station with 2 width positions that correctly fits you and every member of your family. Dip Station stands 3' tall to fit users up to 6. 5' in height and builds up to 350 lbs
- EASY STORAGE: The only Dip Station that folds easily for transport or storage with fast color-coded spring-tab assembly that requires no tools. Quick-adjust leveling feet are firm on every surface
- BETTER FORM: Exclusive angled grips ergonomically reduce strain and support proper form to rapidly sculpt arms, chest, shoulders and core. Premium pads and thick wall steel stand up to your most rigorous workouts
- BETTER BALANCE: Bodyweight rows balance your chest results with back development. Take your workouts further with optional Bodyweight Resistance Trainers or the Weighted Dip Belt Agility Trainer for intense full body training (accessories sold separately)
- DESIGNED IN THE USA: Ultimate Body Press is a North Carolina company committed to delivering better workouts every day. Includes Prime eligible shipping and USA customer service.SHOP WITH CONFIDENCE: The Dip Bar Fitness Station is backed by Ultimate Body Press against manufacturer's defects for 10 years
Resistance Band Side Raise
Another fantastic alternative exercise for cable crossover.
How to Perform
- Stand with one foot in the middle of the band. Step forward with another.
- Tighten the abs and avoid bending the back.
- Raise your arms, while keeping the elbows slightly bent.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
When you perform this cable crossover alternative, make sure to feel the muscles contracting before lowering your arms.
- Your personal home gym – Got no time to head down to your local gym every day? With this set of resistance bands, you can enjoy a full body workout without even stepping out of your home.
- Train different muscle groups – Use these fitness bands to perform rows, pulls, raises, and fly workout sets to exercise your arms, back, hips, legs, chest, and abdominal region. You can use resistance bands to replace dumbbells or weights.
- Ready for daily use – Fitted with durable latex tubes, reinforced links, and heavy-duty carabiners, these exercise bands are designed to withstand intense daily exercise sessions.
- Complete exercise accessories – Included in the package are 5 fitness resistance bands, a carrying bag, a door anchor, 2 cushioned straps, 2 ankle straps, 1 workout guide, and 1 workout poster.
- 100% Satisfaction – If, for any reason, you are not happy with the quality or performance of these resistance bands, let us know anytime and we will be glad to straighten things out for you.
All and all, cable crossover is a truly fantastic exercise. It offers a lot of benefits, and not just for professional bodybuilders but also people like us, who just want to be stronger.
However, as you could see it is not always possible to use the necessary equipment. Fortunately, there are plenty of phenomenal cable crossover alternative exercises that we can do at home or any other place.
Thus, we sincerely hope that we’ve helped you pick the alternative to cable crossover that will be just perfect for you! So best of luck on your fitness journey and don’t let anything stop you from achieving your goals!
P.S. So which substitute for cable crossover you think is the best? Have you tried some of these before? feel free to share your thoughts and experience with us in the comments!