Remember: all information, content, and material of this website is just for informational purposes only and are not intended to serve as a substitute for the consultation, diagnosis, and/or medical treatment of a qualified physician or your healthcare provider/personal fitness trainer.
LAVERA STEWARTEditor-in-Chief of the Approved By Coach
You are never in a shortage of options to enhance your productivity during your workout session. On top of the list are pre workout alternatives. There are plenty of products used as pre-workout substitute to improve your gym sessions’ intensity. As reviews show, these deliver results.
Regardless of the kind of workouts you are engaged in, keep an eye on your pre workout ingredients. They will make or break your success.
So if you want to know more about pre working out substitutes and a lot more for your training regime let’s dive in!
Pre Workout: What is it?
Pre workout is a combination of elements that help boost energy levels during training. The elements do not contain hormones and steroids – they’re natural. While some of these enhancers contain carbs, most of them usually have zero calories.
Constituents of Pre WorkOut
There are numerous pre workout formulas you will come across while shopping for one to meet your needs. Some target multi-joint exercises while others are specific to where you want improvements. These include:
Caffeine contains chlorogenic acid, which decreases blood pressure and reduces body fat. It finds its way easily into the bloodstream and should be taken one hour before your session.
- 200mg of Caffeine Per Capsule
- Get Caffeine Without the Added Sugar or Calories Found In Energy Drinks
- 1 Serving: Just 1 Capsule, Do Not Exceed 2 Capsules In a 24Hr Period
- Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Sugar Free
- Made in a GMP Compliant, FDA Registered Facility
This supplement enhances energy production in the muscles. This, in turn, boosts fatigue resistance for endurance training
- 5 grams pure creatine monohydrate per serving
- Supports increases in energy, endurance and recovery
- Maximum potency supports muscle size, strength, and power
- Supreme absorbency micronized to get the most out of each dose
- Unflavored can be mixed in your favorite beverage with ease - Product does not come with a scoop
Matcha tea is a natural pre workout drink that not only boosts energy levels but also ensures that you are not left in a “low” state after working out.
- 100% USDA Certified Organic Matcha Green Tea Powder - Pure Shade-Grown Green Tea Leaf Matcha Powder - Grown Without Pesticides or Harmful Fertilizers
- Authentic Japanese Origin - less than 1% of tea fields in Japan are certified organic for strict farming practices. We source directly from partner family farms in Uji and Kagoshima, Japan.
- Create Amazing Matcha Tea Recipes - Culinary Grade Matcha is an affordable way to add a delicious, healthy boost to lattes, smoothies, baked goods, and other dishes
- Healthy Superfood - matcha is rich in antioxidants and is a great source of natural energy and mental clarity
- Love It or Your Money Back - if you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase of our Matcha for any reason, just email us and we'll refund your order in full, no questions asked
Protein Alternatives for Pre Workout
If you don’t want to include proteins in your DIY pre workout, you can use some natural pre workout without beta alanine as an alternative. Here are some of the alternatives you could use:
Green Tea or Coffee
Coffee is a natural pre workout drink that will give you all the energy you need for productive light workouts. As a functional food, it packs loads of other benefits to your workout routines and overall performance. On the other hand, green tea will be an excellent substitute for coffee if your body experiences crashing problems once the coffee boost is gone.
Besides boosting muscle blood flow, drinking beetroot is one of the best pre-workouts without creatine that helps prevent oxidative stress that may slow you down while training. Moreover, beetroot also contains plenty of fiber and nutrients for an energy boost. You can also take beetroot in the form of powder or juice.
Add Dried Fruit, Oatmeal and Trail Mix to your Diet
If you’re all about a fruity alternative before your gym session, dried fruits or oatmeal and trail mix will not disappoint. Dried fruit is easily digestible and also incredibly rich in carbohydrates and sugar. Moreover, due to their high fiber content, oats provide constant energy throughout your training.
Furthermore, the trail mix contains abundant proteins and calories to provide you with enough energy before your exercises. However, to avoid pre workout side effects, go slow on trail mix consumption because it has a very high-fat content.
A simple smoothie is also another pre working out alternative for anyone trying to avoid protein. You could prepare your simple smoothie using fruit and water. Also, you can add vegetables to your smoothie to make it more nutritional and energy-boosting. Generally, smoothies play a big role in building muscle, boosting general body health and weight loss. If their taste is a turnoff, you could add some natural flavor, but keep artificial sweeteners off.
Here are some more alternatives to pre-workout that could help a great deal when it comes to boosting your training intensity.
Light Cardio Workouts
Light cardio workouts are essential for enhancing blood flow right before bouncing into a serious session. These could involve rowing, jumping jacks, or leg kicks. Basically, it is about raising your heartbeat rapidly to increase energy and blood flow.
Proper and Balanced Nutrition
If you are proficient in pre-workouts, it is definite that you already know that a poor diet is not on the list of what can replace pre-workout. Proper nutrition is one of the crucial pillars for boosting your energy both before and after an exercising session. Providing your body with the necessary nutrients consistently is suitable for training and general body health.
A Good Night's Quality Sleep
Lack of sleep generally affects performance not only when it comes to working out but also in delivering on other tasks. With a good and quality night’s sleep, you will have enough energy for your training and develop resistance to chronic fatigue as well.
Listen to Uplifting Music
The power of music is often underrated. Can you spike your energy levels by listening to feel-good music before and while working out? Therefore, if you are yet to have a dedicated training playlist, it is time you get one. Besides energy-boosting, music also enhances focus by overpowering other distractions.
If you’ve been looking for natural pre workout alternatives, you are good to go with the options we provided. Also, don’t forget to combine the substitutes with a positive mindset, and you will reach your goals fast and easily.