Remember: all information, content, and material of this website is just for informational purposes only and are not intended to serve as a substitute for the consultation, diagnosis, and/or medical treatment of a qualified physician or your healthcare provider/personal fitness trainer.
Editor-in-Chief of the Approved By Coach
The Schwinn elliptical 420 is a trainer designed for beginner and intermediate users regardless of their fitness levels. It offers multiple workout options. This unit is designed to offer an ergonomic elliptical patch, which means that people will be comfortable and stable while pedaling.
According to Schwinn 420 elliptical reviews, this machine comes with BioConnect Feedback to maximize the effects of use. It offers a heart monitor and 12 different workout programs. It also features 16 different resistance levels to accommodate people of all fitness levels.
This unit has an ergonomic, biomechanical design. It is essential to point it out because that is the reason why people feel comfortable when they are working out. The handles are ergonomically designed, which means that you can change positions during your training as per your preference. This is one of the features that a lot of people mention in favor of Elliptical in the stepper vs. elliptical trainer debate.
The unit comes with an LCD which enables you to monitor your progress and condition during the training. The display shows time, RPM, Interval time, heart rate, distance, speed, resistance level, etc.
When you skim through Schwinn elliptical 420 reviews, you notice that it comes with 16 different workout programs. Having in mind that it is a budget elliptical, we have to say that this is a rather remarkable number. Among the programs you will find six-course profiles, fitness text, one custom workout, and one heart rate program. Unfortunately, Schwinn elliptical 420 doesn’t come with iFit Live, a program that features live classes you can follow during a workout.
- Calorie Burning. If you are looking to lose weight, the elliptical trainer is the choice for you. Working out on this machine allows you to burn 270 to 400 calories in only half an hour.
- Upper and Lower Body Workout. It is one of the rare machines for aerobic training that works both upper and lower body muscles. If you want to maximize upper body workout, make sure to distribute resistance and weight evenly.
- Low Impact. If cardio is the only thing you are interested in, this will not bother you. But working out on this machine will not help you gain muscle strength.
- It’s not for everyone. The elliptical is a pretty safe machine. However, if you have a knee or some other joint injury, you might experience pain. In such a case, a stationary bike is a better choice.
What Does Science Say About Elliptical Trainers?
Elliptical machines provide a fantastic aerobic workout. They are low-impact machines, so they can be used as an alternative to running or jogging. It is necessary to keep a proper posture when you use this machine to maximize your results. As we mentioned, working out on this machine is very efficient for weight loss. Of course, it depends on your current weight and the intensity of intervals, but on average, you can burn up to 270 calories in 30 minutes, which is more than with other machines.
Besides, using an elliptical for 30 minutes increases the heart rate, which strengthens the heart muscle. It improves the entire cardiovascular system because the heart and lungs work more to pump oxygen to the entire body. This machine also enables you to do weight-bearing exercises that strengthen the bones and improve balance.
What Factors Should Be Considered When Choosing an Elliptical Trainer?
- Adjustable Incline. It allows you to shift between different muscle groups. It also enables you to add variety to the routine.
- Smooth motion. The elliptical is designed to simulate natural walking or running. Therefore, when choosing the model, you have to make sure that nothing prevents you from moving smoothly during work out.
- Upper body movement. Some machines have levers that can help you have upper body training as well. It is a useful feature if you are not doing any strength exercises.
- Forward and backward motion. You can find this option in a lot of equipment. It allows you to move in different directions to challenge your workouts.
- Adjustable resistance. When shopping for an elliptical, look for a unit that has this feature. It is useful if you are doing interval training.
Can You Build Muscle With an Elliptical Machine?
As we said, the elliptical is a machine for aerobic exercises primarily. However, as best elliptical reviews show, you can still use this machine to build muscles. It provides a full-body workout if you are using the handles. These machines strengthen different muscle groups in your shoulders, legs, back, etc. However, keep in mind that the muscle strength won’t come as quickly as when you engage in weight training.
Is It Bad to Go on the Elliptical Every Day?
In short, it is not bad! But, when we are talking about exercising, a general rule is that it’s best not to work out every day because you can overtrain some muscle groups. If this happens, you will have to take a longer break.
Thus, the best is to use elliptical five days per week, with two days for recovery. If you still want to use it more than that, limit your workouts to 10 minutes per day.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
The elliptical trainer is a fantastic equipment primarily designed for a cardio workout. However, as you are using the whole body when working on this machine, it can also help you build some strength.
In our opinion, it is a machine that provides an excellent workout for people of all fitness levels but is especially efficient for beginner and intermediate exercisers. So you won’t be disappointed with the amazing results of the Schwinn elliptical 420. And perhaps you’ve already tried this piece of equipment. If so, what are your thoughts on it? Have you noticed any progress? Let us know in the comments, we would love to hear from you!