Remember: all information, content, and material of this website is just for informational purposes only and are not intended to serve as a substitute for the consultation, diagnosis, and/or medical treatment of a qualified physician or your healthcare provider/personal fitness trainer.
LAVERA STEWARTEditor-in-Chief of the Approved By Coach
An attractive six-pack is desired among many athletes. Some work hard to get it, and sometimes it just occurs naturally when you start working hard, especially on your abdominal muscle, aka rectus abdominis. However, in order to get those chiseled abs, you have to work on the entire upper body. The best way to do that is to engage in some resistance training, and start working on your entire core.
When you want the best results, you need to know which exercises will be the most effective and can help you get to your goal even faster.
That is why we’ve decided to do some research and consult with the experts, to bring you some of the best upper abs exercises. These are the most effective and helpful exercises, that can help you get those that will be a huge help when you want to strengthen your upper abs and get that awesome six-pack.
So, without further ado, let’s take a look at these upper abs exercises!
- 1 Best Upper ABS Workout List
- 2 Upper Abs FAQ
- 3 Dealing With Pain After the Workout
- 4 Conclusion
Best Upper ABS Workout List
Swiss Ball Crunches
Crunches remain one of the best upper ab exercises. They are simple, effective and there are so many different types of them. The most effective of them, however, are swiss ball crunches, because they allow you to tone your stomach the most effectively. And for this exercise, you could even use dumbbells or your body mass. These are also among the best upper ab workouts for women, since this move requires more balance, rather than a lot of force.
How to do it:
- Place a swiss ball on the ground.
- Do a little stretch/warm-up if need to.
- Reel carefully and make sure that your backside is firm on this ball.
- Sweep each wrist before you or set them at the back of the nape. Each lap should settle lateral to the rug.
- Arc your vertebral column gently, thrust your shoulders and lean forward then execute a crunch.
- Return to your original position and repeat.
Wide-Leg Cross Sit-Ups
One of the best upper abdominal exercises – it targets the upper abs and obliques. When you perform this exercise right, it will help you burn that upper ab fat a lot faster.
How to do it:
- Choose a spacious room to recline on your rug then outstretch your legs.
- Constrict your backbone smoothly while elevating your upper body. Target your left leg using your right hand.
- Get back to your original position. Spread out each forearm overhead and uncurl your vertebral column then quickly tap space at the middle of your feet.
- Commence to your initial posture then embark on this procedure. Take turns with each arm.
- Do 15 reps for either side.
You can also dumbbells, to make this exercise more intense and challenging.
Raised Leg Crunches
Elevated leg crunches are some of the best upper abs workouts to optimize the severity to attain faster results. By hoisting one’s leg, we increase this challenge.
So overall, this is a not bad upper abs workout at home, that will give you amazing results.
How to do it:
- Kick-off by pushing your back on the rug while inclining your knees.
- Hoist both legs high to form 90 degrees.
- Put both wrists under your neck.
- Slant forth and elevate your neck by breathing while pushing in the gut. To tighten upper abs, lift your body but don’t use your neck to heave.
- Halt before going down to conclude a rep.
A lot of professionals agree that this is the best upper abs workout for beginners. So if you fancy doing upper ab exercises without equipment, then bicycle crunches are the best exercises for upper belly fat. Plus they are perfect for a good sweat.
All you need for this move is a rug and determination.
How to do it:
- Choose a smooth surface, lay a rug then recline on it.
- Retain your limbs horizontally and the vertebrae around the work area.
- Hoist an individual knee to a workbench to create 45 degrees. The fists should stay behind the nape.
- Proceed steadily to nudge your left elbow with your right knee. Do these while uncurling your left leg.
- Repeat with the opposite leg and knee.
To reap the best out of upper crunch do these sessions slowly. Also, even if it’s a simple workout, it works both an upper and lower ab workout.
Ab sprinters are one of the best upper abs workouts without equipment. It’s an amazing exercise that tones your upper abs. It targets the obliques, rectus abdominis, and lower abs.
How to do it:
- Lie on your back and extend the legs; bend the arms by your sides.
- Lift the upper body and bend your right leg. Bring it to your right knee.
- Return to the starting position and repeat on the other side.
- Do 15-20 reps. 2-3 sets.
Kneeling Cable Crunch
One of the most effective upper abs crunches is a Kneeling Cable Crunch. Great for both beginners and professionals, this killer challenges both the abs and lower back.
How to do it:
- Kneel before an uplifted pulley that has cable attachment.
- Grab the handle and bring your hands to the top of the head. Remember to keep them in this position throughout the exercise.
- Tilt your chest forward while contracting the abs. Then ring the rib cage closer to the lower abdomen. Your back must be parallel to the floor and elbows should almost touch the knees.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles and then return to the starting position. Lightly inhale.
Keep in mind that to achieve notable results from good upper ab exercises, like these crunches, you should maximize pressure on these abs. Tighten them when you workout.
This is one of the best upper ab exercises because it also doubles as a potent upper core exercise. It’s important to mention that this is also a really good upper abdomen exercise for ladies since it doesn’t require much force, is easy to perform but gives amazing results.
How to do it:
- Lie with your knees arced and your feet on the carpet. Your fists should be on each side.
- Compress your gut and shoulder blades. Hoist your feet steadily and confirm that your knees are motionless.
- Incline both palms on your laps, but bear in mind that your back should maintain a single posture.
- Do 15 reps per set.
Remember to perform this exercise correctly, to avoid any injuries.
This is considered one of the most beneficial upper core workouts guaranteed to give you that workout burn. You can choose a barbell or abs wheel for this process. However, experts claim that this is a rather hard upper abs workout for men since it gets tough as you proceed. So it’s a better choice for men. But women, of course, can try it as well.
How to do it:
- Kneel while grasping the ab roller in your fists.
- Bring the ab roller in front of a single knee and wield moderately while angling a spinal column. Ascertain that your gut is tense for support.
- Inhale and thrust forward. Bear in mind to do this steadily.
- Puff out as you resume the initial stance.
TRX Body Saws
If you are a rookie, searching for an exciting upper ab exercise, then TRX body saws might suit you. It focuses on the upper abs and core. Besides, it also accentuates your upper body, shoulders, glutens, abductors, etc.
How to do it:
- Get in the plank position, and make sure that you are comfortable.
- Fix your foot in the TRX leash. Your elbow ought to lightly brush under your chin.
- Use core muscles, do a plank then thrust further according to your might.
- Maintain this posture as you maneuver ahead.
- Take a break then do another rep.
Remember to make sure that your core is tight and your legs horizontal, to prevent fractures or discomfort.
This workout targets the core and tummy. It also enhances your augmentation of back muscles.
How to do it:
- Relax your spine and make sure that the shoulder bones touch the rug.
- Tense the abdomen. Suspend both arms and align your legs.
- Hoist both limbs concurrently. Ascertain that each leg is bolted upside and incline midair as you can reach.
- Aim for your toes using the points of your index fingers.
- Get in the original position and repeat.
Upper Abs FAQ
Remember that even the best upper abs exercise won’t work, if you’re not prepared, and/or doing things incorrectly. So we’ve decided to answer some of the most common questions, for you to get the best out of your exercise.
Do Planks Build Abs?
Planks help to tone and strengthen your shoulders, back, and thighs, which make them full-body workouts. Varying these exercises can help to achieve a six-pack, for instance, side planks, elevated planks, Pylo side planks, etc.
How Often Should I Train Abs?
You don’t have to exercise every day to get toned abs because muscles grow during rest days. We use these muscles daily; therefore, abs tend to recover faster. Although our bodies are different, at least 2 rest days per week should work.
Also make sure not to go too heavy on your exercises, since it can have some unpleasant consequences – let your body rest and it will surprise you.
How to Tone Upper ABS, How to Get Upper Abs or How to Work Upper ABS?
There are a lot of similar questions there and there is only one right answer it. Oddly enough, to do this, you need to regularly perform various sets of exercises, because the abs tend to get used to a single load.
You can also purchase some equipment, to help you work at home. For example, some of the best rowing machines under $500 will help you blast the fat and build some chiseled abs in no time.
How Can I Reduce My Upper Stomach Naturally?
A nutritious diet helps you to stay healthy and maintain optimum weight. Remember to eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, avoid junk food, and eat a lot of protein (the latter is especially important for building muscle). Meat, eggs, dairy – all is a good source of protein. If you’re a vegan, there’s a lot of protein alternatives for you too – protein bars, tofu, and even protein cookies. These won’t add extra inches to your waistline and provide protein, while also being healthy and delicious.
And of course, remember to stay hydrated and reduce cortisol by staying happy.
What Causes Upper Stomach Fat?
Junk and fatty foods are some contributors to upper stomach fat. However, a sedentary lifestyle and lack of exercise cause an individual to gain and not lose weight. Other factors causing upper belly fat are stress, genetics, and health conditions.
Dealing With Pain After the Workout
There are multiple techniques to deal with this ache; in particular, you can use Epsom salts. They contain magnesium, which is a natural body relaxant. Prepare a bath and use up to a cup then soak for 10 minutes. You can also create a solution to rub against these sore areas employing a washcloth. And you can also use a heating pad or a warm washcloth on the sore tissue. Remember that a heating pad must never be in direct proximity with one’s epidermis, particularly any sore tissues considering that it could cause heat injury.
It’s OK if you experience soreness after exercising, particularly for beginners. This soreness can remain for a day or two, but it’s nothing to worry about.
However, if you continue to experience soreness, it’s better to let your muscles recover, and relax for a couple of days – take a break or go easy on the training. Consider consulting with a doctor if needed.
As you see, there are a lot of best upper abs exercises that will help you get those chisel-shaped abdomen abs. Just keep in mind that while exercises are important, a good diet also plays a very important role in building the body of your dream. So remember to watch your diet, don’t skip on these exercises, and you will get to your goal in no time!
Or perhaps you’re already on the way there, and see some progress already? If so, what was your eating/exercise regime? Let us know in the comments, the ApprovedByCoach team would love to hear about your experience for motivation and further help others in need!